In today's tutorial I'm going to show you how you can create wall hangings from your photographs by printing them onto fabric. Luckily it's not as tricky as you might think, you don't need any special equipment and it can be done at home as long as you have an inkjet printer!
You will need: a digital photograph or scanned image, thin card, calico, an inkjet printer, a Pritt stick, thin doweling or a wooden skewer, twine/string, a sewing machine or needle and thread, pins, scissors/rotary cutter
1. Start by cutting a piece of your fabric the same size as your A4 sheet of card - make sure it has been ironed so it's nice and flat. Lightly apply Pritt Stick to the card and stick on the fabric making sure it covers the whole sheet
2. Print out your image onto your prepared sheet of card - don't forget to flip the image before printing if there's any writing! I would also recommend leaving a border around the image as shown in the photographs to avoid having to sew over it
3. Once the image is dry to the touch, peel the fabric off of the card sheet and use scissors or a rotary cutter and ruler to square up the piece of fabric ready for sewing - make sure you leave a larger section of plain fabric at the top of the image for hanging!
4. Fold over about half an inch of fabric along the two side edges of your image and pin in place - usually when sewing you might iron these down but in this case don't iron them as it may ruin your printed image!
5. Stitch along the edges to secure them in place, then repeat the process with the bottom edge of the image
6. For the top edge you'll need to fold over a larger section to create the hanging loop. Fold over about and inch of fabric and again pin in place then sew along close to the edge
7. Cut your wooden skewer or piece of doweling down to size (slightly wider than your image to allow for the string) and thread through the hanging loop at the top of the fabric
8. Tie on a length of string, twine or ribbon for hanging, glue in place if necessary and you're done!
Project notes: as mentioned above I would advise against ironing your printed fabric as it can smudge the design. I would also not recommend using this technique for any items that may need to be washed/will get wet as this could also ruin your print.
As always I'd love to hear from you if you try out this or any other project from my DIY Archives - if you enjoy them please subscribe to my blog via Bloglovin' to make sure you don't miss any posts! :)