Cress, Marissa Meyer (2014)
Cress is the third book in Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles series which takes inspiration from classic fairytales and places new versions of their famous characters into a futuristic setting. In the first book we met Cinder (Cinderella), in the second Scarlet (Little Red Riding Hood) and in this instalment we are introduced to Cress, Meyer's version of Rapunzel. A hacker trapped alone in space, Cress longs to escape and live a normal life. Her wish is fulfilled when she joins the rest of the gang on their mission to stop the wedding of Prince Kai and the evil Queen Levana.
So far this series has been a little bit of a rollercoaster for me as I wasn't completely sold on Cinder, quite enjoyed Scarlet and overall loved the concept of the series enough to read on. For me Cress was a good little read with some interesting new characters and a whole lot of adventure. Although not one of my all time favourite series I'm looking forward to finding out the conclusion when fourth book Winter is released. Definitely one to pick up if you enjoy modern re-tellings like TV show Once Upon A Time - this might be the series for you! ✯✯✯
This month I also read...
- Sweet Little Lies, Lauren Conrad (2010) ✯✯
- Sweet Tooth, Vol. 1: Out of the Deep Woods, Jeff Lemire (2010) ✯✯
- The Bunker, Vol. 01*, Joshua Hale Fialkov & Joe Infurnari (2014) ✯
- The 100 Society*, Carla Spradberry (2014) - review to follow on Blogger's Bookshelf in August
- Stitch It Simple*, Beth Sheard (2014) - review to follow on Eight & Sixteen in September
Reviews posted this month...
Books marked with a * c/o Netgalley, cover images via Goodreads
What did you read in June?