Sunday, 6 April 2014
DIY Felt Fruit Needle Case
Today's idea was inspired by this Pinterest image which after completing this project I found out was originally from The Purl Bee. The post there shows how to make these little felt citrus slices to use as coasters however I ran with the fun fruit idea I'd seen in the Pinterest image and made little pouches/needle cases instead. Here's the step-by-step...
You will need: white felt, coloured felt, scissors, thread and a needle + some circular things to draw around. Alternatively the post over at The Purl Bee has a great printable template - if only I'd known!
1. First cut your four felt circles - 2 large coloured, 1 slightly smaller white, and 1 even smaller coloured
2. Take the smallest circle and cut into quarters. Then take each of those and cut into two pieces - it's best to do this unevenly
3. To create the 'pips' in the design take a few of the small triangle sections, fold them in half and carefully snip a small triangle out of the felt - just like if you were making paper snowflakes!
4. Arrange the triangles on the white circle and use a simple running stitch to secure them all in place
5. Then, again using a running stitch, sew the white circle onto one of the bigger coloured ones
6. The final step is to add on the little pocket. Cut approx. a third off of your second large coloured circle, stitch this onto the back and you're done!
As always I'd love to hear from you if you try out this or any other project from my DIY Archives - use the hash tag #eelisediys to share your photos with me!
© e-elise etc | All rights reserved.