Choosing A Design
Initially I settled on the idea of a simple square design with a few rectangles mixed in just to add a little more interest (and use up some of the scraps!) however when I laid them all out I wasn't happy with how it looked. I then tried to create a less random layout design using my squares and ended up with a 'brick' style pattern which used only the squares and not the rectangles, but again decided it didn't feel quite right.
After putting the squares to one side whilst I thought about alternative design options I decided to use up my now unwanted rectangles to practise my patchwork. The result of this was the piece shown in the photograph above, which once I stepped back and looked at I realised I really loved. So, my design idea was finalised - I was going to ditch the squares in favour of rectangles!
This meant even more fabric cutting (I really didn't make things easy for myself) and I began work on turning all of my nicely cut squares into equally nicely cut rectangles. When I started the project I decided that I wanted to pick up a rotary cutter and quilting ruler to cut the pieces accurately and I ended up with a 45mm rotary cutter, a 6x12" Omnigrip ruler and a 18" x12" cutting mat from Sew Easy.
That's it for this update, next time I'll be talking sewing the quilt top!