Last week I shared some Christmas gift inspiration featuring DIY kits but today I'm going to share one of my own ideas. If you're looking to make a DIY gift for your bestie why not try creating your own quote necklace? These are cute, easy to make and completely customisable.
For this tutorial I've used Mean Girls quotes because... well, who doesn't love Mean Girls?! But of course you could use any quote you like. Here's how its done...
You will need:
shrink plastic - any brand is fine, alternatively recycle and use #6 plastic
a permanent pen - I used an OHP pen with a fine nib
+ scissors, a hole punch, paper, a chain/jewellery findings, pliers, & an oven or heat tool
coloured pens - if you want to add colour I would recommend Promarkers which work well on both clear & white shrink plastic, or coloured pencils on white shrink plastic
glaze - if you want to protect the pendant and make it longer-lasting
1. Draw out your design on a piece of paper and once you are happy with how it looks trace it onto your plastic using a permanent marker
2. Carefully cut around the design and punch holes so that you will be able to attach it to a chain later on
3. Cook your plastic as directed on the instructions:
If you are using #6 plastic or have no instructions here is a basic outline - grab a baking tray and line it with either foil or greaseproof paper. Pop the plastic onto the tray and place in a hot oven. Keep an eye on it - as it shrinks the plastic will completely curl up, don't worry this is supposed to happen! Once the plastic has flattened out again it's ready to come out of the oven
4. If you want to protect the design now is the time to add a layer or two of glaze. Remember to let it dry fully before moving on to the final step
5. Add your finished plastic pendant to a necklace using pliers/jump rings and you're done!
As always I'd love to hear from you if you try out this or any other project from my DIY Archives.