Butterfly nails have become really popular on Tumblr and Pinterest recently so I thought I'd do a quick tutorial post on how to recreate the look.
Base polishes used for the three alternative colour schemes above (L-R) China Glaze Fast Track, Natural Collection Hibiscus & China Glaze Luxe & Lush, Topshop Hidden Treasure
Polishes used: H&M Lemon Tree, Natural Collection Antique Coral, Max Factor Red Passion, ELF Twinkle & Claire's Accessories nail art pens
1. The first step is to apply your base colour, for this tutorial I created a basic ombre look using bright yellow, orange and red applied with a foam sponge. To add some sparkle to the base I also applied a coat of a fine glitter.
2. Next you need to add a slightly curved line across one of the corners using your nail art pen or a striper brush.
3. For the next set of lines you are pretty much free to place them wherever you want to so you don't have to worry about being too precise. As you can see from the nail wheel above I tried out different placements of the lines for each nail.
4. Once you're happy with you're lines you need to join them up with small curved lines or semi circles as if you were trying to create a sort of spider's web design.
5. Take your black polish and fill in the shape you have just created at the edge of the nail so you have a solid black area.
6. Once the black is dry use a nail art pen or dotting tool in a contrasting colour to apply the dots. Seal with your favourite topcoat and your butterfly nails are done!
As always leave me a comment or tweet a photo if you try this out, I'd love to see!
What are your current favourite nail trends?